Tuesday, September 20, 2011

I AM TROY DAVIS, My Letter

My letter I emailed to LChisolm@Chathamcounty.org regarding Troy Davis. D.A. Chapman can still withdraw the death penalty. 912-652-7308 or email LChisolm@Chathamcounty.org DEMAND IT!!!
To Whom It May Concern,

    I don't know if you'll ever read my letter for it may get lost in the floods of out cries from the people. Or it may just turn out that you may just not care. My name is Jason "JaFleu" Fleurant, but you may consider me Troy Davis. I today am writing you as a distraught young black man. Distraught because this justice system that you vowed to serve has once again failed us, and yet though you have the power to correct that wrong it appears you have chosen not to. I ask you, if your son/daughter was suspended from school for throwing a rock at a teacher, but the students who claimed he did it later said they were wrong and another student had done it what would you do? What would you expect the school's action to be?

   I know that the crime at hand is far worse than the scenario I presented but the crime of not taking account the overwhelming evidence SCREAMING Troy Davis innocence is even more grievous. There is a saying that goes "All it takes for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing". Do I feel remorse for the lost life of the officer, Lord knows I certainly do. Yet we can not live by the Hammurabi code of "An eye for an eye", especially when they eye is innocent. I have been one who has been harassed, beaten and morally destroyed by the law enforcement officers in my area due strictly because of my skin tone, yet I still choose to believe that Justice does exist. And a case like this has the opportunity to truly show that Justice is for everyone.

   I make this plea to you to reconsider this case, and at the very LEAST remove Troy Davis from the death plenty. The same evidence that was used to convict him declares his innocence. If anything there is to much doubt, REASONABLE doubt to go forward. Ask yourself can you truly live with the idea that you, YOU allowed a possibly innocent man to die? Can you look yourself in the mirror and not be haunted by his image staring you down asking you "why"? The eye witnesses themselves have recanted, that is more than enough reason to reconsider.

   I know I am only one man, one voice but I am one in a chorus, in a sea of people demanding justice is done. Today we give you a chance to show that Justice is for everyone, and that it is real. We are not God, therefore we do not posses the right to take away human life so I ask you to think deeply on the choice at hand. There is too much doubt to clearly believe this current course of action correct. I leave you with this quote from Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. A man who DIED for equal rights and justice... "A injustice anywhere is an injustice EVERYWHERE".

                                                                                                       Sincerely,
                                                                                             Jason "JaFleu" Fleurant
                                                                                                  "I Am Troy Davis"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9dXYr9tDYQ
Take Action! Go Here Or Here Sign the petition!

No comments:

Post a Comment