Thursday, February 9, 2012

New Painting... Lost: My Father's Eyes

 My father suffer's from Alzheimer's. And some times when you look him in the eyes you seem familiarity, lost, confusion or fury. Usually at any given moment. I've just been thinking a lot about that and ended up painting this.  

This is a poem I wrote a year ago:

My Father’s Eyes Never Told Me No Lies


My father’s eyes never told me no lies
My father’s eyes never told me no lies

When I was a child
And he held me in his arms
After a long day
He didn’t sing me no song
He didn’t tap dance round the issue
Always gave it to me straight
Looked me in the eyes
And told me to my face
“Son one day you’ll be great”
And I could tell he spoke truth
As I gazed into the window of his soul
So to the world I will offer proof
In honor of what he foretold

My father’s eyes never told me no lies
My father’s eyes never told me no lies

As I grew older
And I would seek his advice
His wisdom he bestow
He said “My son, even the strongest men cry”
Taught me humility
And I remember well the day
The first time I seen him shed tears
Over bills that must be paid

My father’s eyes never told me no lies
My father’s eyes never told me no lies

He never uttered the words
“Son, it’ll be ok”
All I had to do
Was look in his face
Pay attention to his actions
Even when we were all stressin’
And the injuries and old age
Started to outlast him
Still to me he was superman
Even when layin in a hospital bed
Cause his eyes said
It was only a temporary setback

But that day my father’s eyes told me a lie
My father’s eyes told me a lie
And I wasn’t prepared for it
Yes it took my by surprise

And now a days, I hardly recognize my father’s eyes
Starring, I'm seeing they don’t recognize me either
But at times glimmers shine
And I can still believe
Tho for the most part he’s gone
Lost in his own journey

The lessons learned from my father’s eyes
The lessons to be strong, have faith, be romantic, and wise
The lessons on how to be a man
Still now survive
Cause now they lay, transferred into mine
So now my eyes , never tell no lies
One of my favorite Eric Clapton song's "My Father's Eyes"  


No comments:

Post a Comment