Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Meeting @Skyzoo: Another Milestone In My Art Career

It's crazy sometimes to think I've been painting for only two years and to see some of the things I've achieved.  And thanks to being part of the ConflictRhymes team & rocking with Golden Underground a lot has happen. March 24th, we celebrated the year anniversary of ConflictRhymes in a packed house at Propaganda. The show was live! And Skyzoo took it to crazy levels.


I remember at sound check, I quickly dropped some of the artwork I was gonna hang in the building off, and zoomed out the door to park my car cause I didn't want to interrupt. I came back in the middle of sound check, b-line str8 to the back, listening to one of the dopest MC's spitting. I'm hyped as I put up the artwork cause in the back of my mind I already know, I've got this painting hidden that would be a surprise gift for him.

Then SkyZoo introduces himself to me, let me reiterate this. This acclaimed lyrical genius from BK went out of his way to introduce himself to me and tell me he appreciated my artwork. We chopped it up a bit, telling me about his love for art and how he's eying this Jay-Z painting I had hanging.




Now my mind is already blown that he's digging the work, but he proceeds to shock me by asking how much for it. The Jay piece was part of a set that was up of Biggie/Jay/NaS called Kings of NY. So I told him, whatever offer you make it's yours as long as you perform 'Written In The Drums'. Sky busts out laughing and says "that wasn't even in the set but bet we gonna do it" and sure enough, after straight killing his set. Sky turns to asks the crowd "Do ya'll want one more? Can I do one more?", looks over to to DJ Prince says "Yo what should we do?"... pauses as varies cats in the crowds shout their suggestions. Then turns, looks towards me, points with his fist...nods...and OJ (and absolute BEAST!!! on the trumpet) stares blaring the opening lines of "Written In The Drums". My level of excitement went through the roof!




After Sky performance, I quickly took to the stage holding in my hand a large canvas. I tap Sky and told him "Hol' up, don't go no where". I was extra excited about what I was about to do because while Sky and I was talking during the sound check. He mention how all his artwork in his home were '1 of 1s' and commissioned work of all of his heroes. That just let me know how much he was going to appreciate this piece I was going to present him. And sure enough when I gave him the custom painting I did of him Sky's eye lid up, and you could see he was honored by it. He took to the mic and completely humbled me with the praise he dished out. He immediately took to twitter and showed love tweeting the pic of the painting.


I'm just honored that one of the dopest MC's breathing know owns 4 pieces of original art by me. And trust me, I can't even begin to tell ya'll how inspired I was talking to him afterwards. Skyzoo is the Truth! Peace brother!

And if you haven't already make sure you get "The Great Debater"!!!! I skip no tracks, true story!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment