Monday, June 1, 2015

#WhiteShoes

Wale's "White Shoes" has been stuck in my head for days. And now I think I may know why. My close friend Esther brought me a pair of new size 15s‪#‎Jordans‬ for my 25th birthday. It was a surprise, especially the Carolina blue, because she knew I was a ‪#‎Tarheel‬ fan. She got them for me cause she believed in me. 


And in the years of 2010-14 I wore them to every ‪#‎exhibit‬‪#‎show‬ ‪#‎concert‬ ‪#‎meeting‬ ‪#‎museum‬ ‪#‎gallery‬ I rode them on every ‪#‎train‬‪#‎bus‬, I walked a lot of late night miles in them..i wore them when my father died, I wore them when I lost my job, I wore them when I got excited, I wore them through the breakups.... But I wore them to my first ‪#‎artshow‬ in Smokey propaganda, I wore them when I found out I was featured in ‪#‎blogs‬‪#‎magazines‬ ‪#‎newspapers‬ ‪#‎timessquare‬... 

I wore them at ‪#‎ArtBasel‬ when I went from just going, to name on a museum walls, to featuring in multiple exhibits... I wore them in lowest and in my highest. And so I wear them tonight singing "Take this good advice, they gonna judge u for life. They say we can't always be fly, but we gonna be good long as them ‪#‎sneakers‬‪#‎white‬. We'll Be ALRIGHT... WELL BE ALRIGHT" ‪#‎artlife‬

"White Shoes" - Wale

-----

Consider this my way of coming back to blogging.

Work in progress:

I haven't given it a title yet. But this particular piece is about ‪#‎blackonblackviolence‬ ‪#‎gangculture‬ and how it ties in to ‪#‎policebruality‬, police shooting ‪#‎unarmed‬ people. Cuz ‪#‎BlackLivesMatter‬.











No comments:

Post a Comment