Thursday, February 16, 2017

Where The Fleu Been? The Catch-Up Blog

I've been low-key dreading trying to make a new blog post t update what's been going on. It's been over a year since I've last done so, never mind all that's happened. So what I'm going to do is assume you may be slightly aware of everything, give the cliff notes and then we can proceed with new posts and more.

1st thing, to those that have been rocking with me since I started this blog back in I think 2008/09 Blessings to you!

2015 ended kind of whack when you considered all the build up. As you may recall I was supposed to go link with Gallery38 in LA. That fell apart long story short. So what have I been doing?

I opted to focus a lot of my energy in 2016 to Exhibit Treal. Exhibit Treal is this project where I curate art exhibitions providing opportunities for other black & minorities artists all the while giving back to the community. If you've been following me slightly, I'm certain you're aware of that. I couldn't be more proud of all that's become. You can follow more about it on the Facebook/Instagram/Twitter & Blog.


Now as for myself.... I mean that is what this particular blog is for right? Really my 2016 got really amped up in the later half. It was at that point after reading The Alchemist the Universe was like "Ok, it's your go".

Again this is super cliff notes and I'm going to forget a lot so let's just skip to the bottom half....

Bombay Sapphire Artisan Series:
I got to be one the artists selected in the South Florida's RushArts x Bombay Sapphire Artisan series.




Art Basel:
Myself & Visualist had less than two weeks after being contacted by Keep Living Co to be part of an exhibition where we had to create portraits of Celebs living with or passed from diseases.






Solo Exhibit:
To end the year I had a solo exhibition at DezignNation x ArtHauseMedia's 'Free Art Vibes' at it was crazy.




ArtPalmBeach:
Now ArtPalmBeach is like our Art Basel and for years I've walked in that place dreaming that one day I could have art in this fair. And this year thanks to Street Art Revoluton, I was one of the featured artists to take part of their "Back to Black" project. Paying homage to Keith Haring's subway chalk art series. To use Dj Khaled logic "They didn't want you to have art in ArtPalmBeach so you made art in ArtPalmBeach!". That moment meant so much to me.





Meeting Idols:
I've had the most crazy run possible of meeting, hanging and giving my artwork to some people I truly admire.

In November, while on the campaign trail for Hilary Clinton my mentor Paul Fisher found out US Senator Cory Booker was in town. And I was blessed to chop it up with him as well as present him a painting and the only copy of a proof of a art book I was releasing. He's reaction was truly humbling. The on 11/11 I got the chance to meet Ms. Jill Scott backstage at the Words & Sounds concert, and I swear she is every bit of GOLDEN that you can imagine and then some.

Not to long after I got the ultimate blessing of meeting Dr. Michael Eric Dyson. And man, this man I've been reading and watching since I was 19 and he was beyond incredible. Words do not even begin to describe. And just
when you thought it was over.... I got to pop up at Drink Champs podcast and not only present Noreaga & DJ EFN art but also have a possible life changing moment when I got to meet their guest for that episode Mr. No Commission Art Fair himself Swizz Beatz!.





Projects:
Now what else is going on? Well early 2016 I started performing poetry again. But there was a new energy in me with it which lead to some features, performances in places I couldn't fathom and now my working on a spoken word album called "WUT IF: Written Under The InFLEUence".




You can check out a video (1.8k views on FB) shot by Maverick Media & Branding of myself performing "Young, Gifted & Black".

Audio of the performance:


I'm booked to be a feature performer at an up-coming Black History Month event on Feb 25th.


So like I said, this is really a short cliff note of what's going on so I can get back to making current posts following my career as an artist.

For Booking or Art Inquires: jafleutheartist@gmail.com

Bless Up!


No comments:

Post a Comment